Col. Derek M. Salmi is the commander of the 60th Air Mobility Wing, at Travis Air Force Base, California. As commander, he is responsible for the combined efforts of all wing operations and support activities associated with the global air mobility mission. C-5M Super Galaxy, KC-10 Extender and C-17 Globemaster III aircraft assigned to Travis AFB participate in airlift and air-to-air refueling missions, responding to combat operations directed by the Joint Chiefs of Staff and supporting U.S. State Department-sponsored humanitarian assistance efforts worldwide. It is also responsible for ensuring the readiness and well-being of more than 26,100 active duty, reserve, civilian personnel and their families.
Colonel Salmi was appointed to the United States Air Force Academy in 1998 after earning a Bachelor of Science in Political Science. He served in various command and operational assignments, graduated from the Air Force’s School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, and was a Fellow of National Defense at Harvard University’s John F. Kennedy School of Government. . Colonel Salmi is a command pilot with over 3,000 flight and training aircraft hours. He was deployed in support of Operations ENDURING FREEDOM, IRAQI FREEDOM and NEW DAWN. Prior to his current role, Colonel Salmi served as Deputy Director, Strategy, Concepts and Assessments, Logistics Directorate (J-4), Joint Chiefs of Staff, Pentagon, Washington DC
1998 Bachelor of Science, Political Science, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado.
2003 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2005 Master of Arts, Organizational Management, George Washington University, Washington DC
2007 Air Command and Staff College Maxwell AFB, Al., by correspondence
2009 Marine Command and Staff College, Quantico, Virginia, by correspondence
2010 Advanced Certificate in International Affairs, Bush School of Government, Texas A&M University, Texas
2011 Master of Philosophy, Military Strategy, School of Advanced Aerospace Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2012 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2016 National Defense Fellow, Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
2019 National Security Management Course, Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, Syracuse University, NY
2022 Seminar XXI, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Mass.
1. November 1998 – January 2000, student, undergraduate pilot training, Laughlin AFB, Texas
2. January 2000 – August 2004, KC-135R/T Instructor Aircraft Commander, Squadron Executive Officer, Group Standardization/Evaluation Pilot, 19th Air Refueling Group, Robins AFB, Ga.
3. August 2004 – June 2006, Air Force Trainee Program, Office of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and Operations, Air Force Headquarters, Washington DC
4. June 2006 – June 2010, C-5A/B Evaluator Aircraft Commander, Chief Wing Executive Officer, and Assistant Director of Operations, 436th Airlift Wing, Dover AFB, Del.
5. July 2010 – June 2011, Student, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
6. June 2011 – June 2012, Head of Strategic Plans, Strategy Division, 609th Air and Space Operations Center, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar
7. June 2012 – June 2013 Chief of Security, 436th Airlift Wing. Dover AFB, Del.
8. June 2013 – June 2015, Commander, 436th Operations Support Squadron, 436th Airlift Wing, Dover AFB, Del.
9. June 2015 – June 2016, National Defense Fellow, Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
10. June 2016 – June 2018, Commander, 100th Operations Group and 401st Air Expeditionary Group, Royal Air Force Mildenhall, United Kingdom
11. June 2018 – July 2020, Commander, 92d Air Refueling Wing, Fairchild AFB, Wash.
12. July 2020 – July 2022, Deputy Director, Strategy, Concepts and Assessments, Logistics Directorate (J-4), Joint Chiefs of Staff, Pentagon, Washington DC
13. July 2022 – Present, Commander, 60th Air Mobility Wing, Travis Air Force Base, Calif.
Classification: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 3,000
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-1, C-5A/B/M, KC-135R/T, C-17A and KC-10A
PRIZES AND MAJOR DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with a cluster of oak leaves
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with Silver Oak Leaf Cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster
Air Force Medal of Honor
General of Air Mobility Command and Mrs. Jerome F O’Malley Award 2020
“Slim Chance: The Pivotal Role of Air Mobility In The Burma Campaign”, Air University Press, 2014
“Behind the Light Switch: Toward a Theory of Air Mobility”, Air University Press, 2020
PROMOTION EFFECTIVE DATES:
Second Lieutenant May 27, 1998
First Lieutenant May 27, 2000
Captain May 27, 2002
Major October 1, 2007
Lieutenant Colonel December 1, 2011
Colonel June 1, 2016
(Current as of July 2022)